Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Company Profile

Komatsu History

Komatsu Southern African Timeline

1962
Illings displays a Komatsu D80-6 bulldozer at the Rand Easter Show.
1963
Illings sells D80-6 and D50-11 bulldozers in South Africa.
1969
Illings is bought by Anglo American from holding company McCarthy Rodway.
1970
Komatsu Ltd opens a liaison office in Johannesburg.
1976
Anglo American and Chrysler announce the formation of the Sigma Motor Corporation. Illings is incorporated into the new company.
1979
Sigma Power Corporation is established as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Sigma Motor Corporation and the official Komatsu distributor.
1984
Sigma Power Corporation establishes the first national Parts Distribution Centre (PDC) in Port Elizabeth.
1986
Introduction of Komatfin finance facilities.
1991
Formation of Komdresco, a joint venture between Netherlands-registered Indresco and Amquip (Pty) Ltd.
1995
Komatsu Ltd acquires 50% of Komdresco and Komatsu Southern Africa is established.
1997
Komatsu Ltd increases its shareholding to 80%, with the remaining 20% acquired by the Itochu Corporation.
1997
Komatsu Botswana is established as a subsidiary company.
1998
Komatsu Namibia is established as a subsidiary company.
1999
Komatsu South Africa becomes a global repair and remanufacturing centre (Reman Centre) alongside the United States, Indonesia, Japan, Australia and the UK.
2001
Komatsu’s global business marks the 80th anniversary of its founding company, Komatsu Iron Works.
2003
Komatsu Ltd grants Komatsu Southern Africa regional responsibility for neighbouring markets, including Angola, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Zambia.
2003
Komatsu Southern Africa receives the greatest honour that can be bestowed by Komatsu Ltd, the Presidential Award. This is granted in recognition of the company’s outstanding marketing achievements.
2005
Komatsu Namibia Mining is established as a subsidiary company.
2010
Komatsu Zambia is established as a subsidiary company.
2012
The unveiling of the multi-million rand Komatsu Southern Africa Parts Distribution Centre.
2012
50th anniversary of Komatsu equipment in South Africa.
2013
Komatsu Southern Africa receives its second Presidential Award, this time in the category "Excellent Management".
2014
Komatsu introduces black ownership through Komatsu Development Trust
2015
Komatsu opens a new world class technical training centre

 

Original Komatsu Head Office 1921